Sunday, May 15, 2016

Learning to Thrive as an #EdTech Introvert


If you're in edtech, you're in a profession that's built on extroversion: massive conferences, networking events, EdCamps, training large groups of people, training small groups of people, conducting workshops, coaching teachers, keeping an active social media presence, and constant collaboration. If you thrive on social interaction, you've found your sweet spot.

But for someone who tends strongly toward introversion, I'm wondering where myself and others like me fit: the ones who enjoy working quietly in their offices, who would rather go back to their hotel than a crowded restaurant after a day of conference sessions, or who get overwhelmed by the incessant "social-ness" of social media...I wonder how my tribe of fellow edtech introverts can thrive in the career we're passionate about while still feeding our souls with quiet spaces and solitude.

Susan Cain


Susan Cain gets it. I could easily co-sign the transcript of her "Power of Introverts" TED talk as my manifesto. As she clarifies, introversion isn't shyness. The identifying feature of introverts is simply how they respond to stimulation, particularly the social kind.

For me, I feel like there's a meter (kind've like a gas gauge) running in my brain when I'm around people in social settings. The entire time I'm in a group, that gauge is steadily dropping from "Full" to "Empty." And when it hits 'E',' like it or not, I'm done.

To refill that tank, I need to get away. And solitary places can be hard to find in edtech. The collaborative, social nature of the tech, education and instructional coaching worlds often intersect in a storm of information and conversation that leave me overwhelmed and searching frantically for a quiet, secluded corner.

Fixing Me


But even though I don't fit the gregarious, extroverted, energized-by-people mold I see in so many of those around me (most of whom I greatly admire and respect), I also don't feel like I need to be "fixed." My need to recharge by working alone lets me focus on a single task for hours at a time, which lets me quickly make progress on large projects that might otherwise not get completed.

Also, my introverted hobbies like reading, researching, and writing let me take information from a wide variety of sources and then put it back together in new ways. When I've produced something creative (often by accident), it's because I've "indulged" my need for solitude (like someone "indulges" their need for oxygen) and in that quiet space, my brain has been able to do its best and most original work.

More to Come


Since this is only my first year to be fully engaged in the edtech space, I need to give more thought to the intersection of my introverted personality and my extroverted career. A lot more.

But I think I'll just start by making it public: my name is Nick, I'm an introvert in the world of edtech, and that's okay.

("Welcome, Nick," the other introverts in my imaginary support group respond. "We're glad you're here.")

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Nick. We are glad you're here! As a fellow introvert in the edtech field, I can assure you that we have a place. We can actually accomplish a great deal of good from our desks where we gather our best ideas and put together our good stuff and head off to mingle with the people. When we're mingled or sessioned or PDed out, we head back to our caves and burrow down for a bit - ebb and flow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, HuckTech. I agree that we have not only a place, but a very important role in keeping edtech balanced. I like your language of "caves" and "burrow down"...those are true introvert terms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can learn the best pattern of your life with the practice in this area of the professional development. Just come here and handle your time in the best zone. Get the new website from this zone and enjoy the best section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle Sim, You have done the great job read here. Your wording and thoughts are very inspirational and i am going to follow them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally I got the answer as I was looking for some content to share with http://www.statementofpurposesample.com/sample-statement-of-purpose-engineering/ fellows about extroversion and I really liked this one.I am sure my friends would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is quite impressive and informative. All we know that edtech is becoming strong platform for learning best education. Students prefer to visit this website more often because of it's content.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exceptional work. I adore you for the effort you've put on this article. Edtech is the educational field in which you'll studied about technology. Here is the link http://www.personalstatementreview.com/6-creative-ways-you-can-do-your-personal-statement-analysis/ i'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete